Dana Wilson reminds us that we can provide a customized education for our children that will not look like anyone else’s. She shares how she has been able to provide her children with what they need through their home education journey. She also shares advice she has learned along the way that has made a life long impression on her children.
What we talked about
- All children are different. No two children are the same. You should not try to teach them the same or expect the same from them. Respect their individual needs and personalities.
- Life and school can be the same thing. You don’t have to replicate school at home.
- The value of time invested in habit training. When you spend time in the early years investing in habit training instead of formal instruction, you are laying the foundation for future studies.
- School lessons, a clean house, and dinner on the table? She learned she couldn’t do it all and had to settle for two out of three.
- The surprising power of the “Redemption Box.” How she encouraged her children to help keep the house tidy without nagging or yelling.
- Why she loves the buffet approach to ideas and education. And how she applies that to her own reading.
- The one idea she learned from her mentor that has molded her home education journey. She implemented this one simple strategy of reading one book per month to train herself and develop her philosophy of education.
What advice would you give to a new homeschool mom?
Where there are tears, tempers flare, or the tone is less than gentle, you might need a little “Puppy Therapy.” Give them some physical affection, a healthy snack, and get outside in the fresh air and sunshine.
The cure for inattention is actually to stop the lesson and get up and move.
Links and resources mentioned on the show
- Connect with Dana: Email (dana . wilson @ me . com) | Facebook | Instagram
- Featured Triumphant Learning Product: Hand Clapping Fun
How to listen to the podcast
Podcasts are radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. You don’t have to have an iPod or smartphone to listen.
- Listen right here on the blog. Click on an image below to go to that episode and click the play button in the post. You can also see the show notes for that episode.
- Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch. Subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play.
How you can support the podcast
You can support the podcast and help spread the word about the podcast in several ways.
1. Subscribe & Leave a Review
And don’t forget to leave a rating and review, which helps more people find the show. iTunes bases their search results on positive ratings, so it really is a blessing. Thanks for your help! (Need help leaving a review? These instructions should help.)
Share the podcast with your friends! Word of mouth is the number one way people learn about the show. Text a friend or share your favorite episode on Facebook or Instagram. It’s the best compliment ever when you do. Thanks!
Shop the Triumphant Learning store. You will find resources to help you disciple and train your children, implement a Charlotte Mason education, continue your learning as a teacher/facilitator, and make learning fun.
Shop on Amazon with this affiliate link, and I’ll receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you.