What works for one family does not always work another. Tiffanie Smith shares practical tips to help you find your groove and make homeschooling work for your family. She also reminds us that it is okay to have the perspective of homeschooling just for this season. You don’t have to have it all figured out right now. Regardless of how long you have been homeschooling, you will be blessed by this interview!
What we talked about
- Make the decision to homeschool just for this season. You don’t have to make a forever decision. It is okay to take it one day at a time.
- Allow yourself the flexibility to make changes. It is okay to change your plans, even mid-year. You might need to try different curricula until you find what works for your family. You might also discover that it looks good in the catalog or like it in theory, but realize it will not work in practice. It wasn’t a wrong choice, it was a step to take you in the right direction.
- Paper does not reflect real life. Schedules or plans may look good on paper, but they may not work out in real life. Don’t let a schedule dictate your day.
- What works for one family may not work for another. It is okay to embrace what works for you and let go of the guilt of trying to do what works for someone else.
What advice would you give to a new homeschool mom?
Homeschooling is the hardest thing that you will ever do in your life but it is the most worthwhile.
Have grace and mercy for your kids and more importantly for yourself.
Try not to focus on teaching them everything. Everyone will have gaps. Raise children who love to learn so they can keep learning on their own.
Relationships are key above all else. Make sure your days reflect this.
Links and resources mentioned on the show
How to listen to the podcast
Podcasts are radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. You don’t have to have an iPod or smartphone to listen.
- Listen right here on the blog. Click on an image below to go to that episode and click the play button in the post. You can also see the show notes for that episode.
- Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch. Subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play.
How you can support the podcast
You can support the podcast and help spread the word about the podcast in several ways.
1. Subscribe & Leave a Review
And don’t forget to leave a rating and review, which helps more people find the show. iTunes bases their search results on positive ratings, so it really is a blessing. Thanks for your help! (Need help leaving a review? These instructions should help.)
Share the podcast with your friends! Word of mouth is the number one way people learn about the show. Text a friend or share your favorite episode on Facebook or Instagram. It’s the best compliment ever when you do. Thanks!
Shop the Triumphant Learning store. You will find resources to help you disciple and train your children, implement a Charlotte Mason education, continue your learning as a teacher/facilitator, and make learning fun.
Shop on Amazon with this affiliate link, and I’ll receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you.