There are just not enough hours in the day to read all of the books we want to read. Audio books to the rescue! We often listen to an audio book during lunch and in the car. Non-readers can enjoy an audio book on CD, MP3 player, or a plug and play electronic book from the library.
Here are some of our favorite audio books. Many are available through your local library.
Audio Book Sources
- Adventures in Odyssey
- Annie Coleman – public domain books on audio
- Classical Kids CDs – audio story about a famous composer with that composer’s music playing in the background. These are very engaging and delightful.
- Free Classic Audio Books
- Jim Weiss / Greathall Productions – we LOVE listening to Jim Weiss productions. He has everything from stories for young ones, to favorite stories retold in Jim Weiss manner, to unabridged books.
- kayray.org – Records for Librivox. Very enjoyable.
- Lamplighter Theatre – great books and well done dramatized productions.
- Librivox – public domain books recorded by volunteers (some are really good and some are not so great)
- Project Gutenburg – public domain books on audio
- YWAM Publishing – hero tales and historical figures
- YWAM Publishing for Young Readers – delightful stories about heroes and historical figures just for young readers
Our favorite audio books
- A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond
- A Long Way From Chicago by Richard Peck
- Adventures in Odyssey by Focus on the Family
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
- Bless This Mouse by Lois Lowry
- Carry on Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham
- Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
- Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
- Come on Seabiscuit by Ralph Moody
- Fair Weather by Richard Peck
- Five Little Peppers and How They Grew by Margaret Sidney (free audio is available at Librivox)
- Flower Fables by Louisa May Alcott (free audio is available at Librivox)
- George Muller: The Guardian of Bristol’s Orphans by Janet and Geoff Benge (They enjoyed this one so much they pull it off the shelf to listen to it in their free time!)
- Heidi by Johanna Spyri (free audio is available at Librivox)
- Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell
- Land of Stories series by Chris Colfer
- Little House on the Prairie Series
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (free audio is available at Librivox)
- Mother Goose in Prose by Frank Baum
- Stories of the Pilgrims by Margaret Pumphrey
- Stuart Little by E.B. White
- The Complete Tales of Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne
- Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher (free audio is available at Librivox)
This post has been linked to:
Regain Control Of Your Homeschool
Use this simple strategy to deal with difficult homeschool days.
- Stop feeling overwhelmed and behind on lessons.
- Get back on track and gain control of your homeschool days.
- Learn how to avoid that drowning sensation in the future.
You will also receive weekly emails to help you find peace in a simple, intentional homeschool. If it’s ever too much, you can unsubscribe at any time.