Misty Bailey describes herself as a reluctant homeschool mom of 3 children. In this episode of the podcast, she tells us why she describes herself as a reluctant homeschooler as well as gives us advice and practical tips for homeschooling a child with special needs. Plus, she reminds us of the one thing we should stress over academics.
If you have a child with special needs, you need to listen to this episode!
If you do not have a child with special needs, you will still benefit from her advice and experiences. I was blessed by this interview with Misty. I know you will be too!
What we talked about
- Why it is important to teach to your child’s unique needs. Regardless of whether your child has special needs or not, it is important to consider what your child needs and not compare him/her to anyone else. Take your time as you discover what your child needs and begin to implement those practices.
- The importance of being a student of your child. You may want to use a particular style or philosophy of education but realize that it will not be the best fit for your family or your special needs child. No one is a purist and it is okay to use what works best for your children. Have an open mind to recognize when you might need to use an approach that you would have otherwise not considered.
- Why a diagnosis can be viewed as a gift instead of a label. Take a step back and notice the small cues you may be seeing; then consider how they fit together into a bigger picture. Knowing what you are facing can allow you to provide additional tools to help your child be successful.
- The one thing you should stress over academics—relationships. Be flexible and go with the flow. Sometimes you may need to close the school books and just read a book for fun. It’s not all about academics! Above all stress your relationship. Consider if pushing him will hurt your relationship more than help him succeed academically. Each day is a gift and joy to spend with your children.
What advice would you give to a new homeschool mom?
Remember the gift you are giving your children, both the gift of education and of memories with a joyful and happy mom.
Links and resources mentioned on the show
- Are You Controlling The Atmosphere Of Your Home?
- Finding Joy in the Journey t-shirts (or Homeschooling Your Tribe t-shirts) from Joy in the Journey Store (Use the coupon code “Crystal” to receive $3 off your t-shirt.)
- Connect with Misty at Joy in the Journey
- Featured Triumphant Learning Product: Writing Your Family Mission Statement
How to listen to the podcast
Podcasts are radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. You don’t have to have an iPod or smartphone to listen.
- Listen right here on the blog. Click on an image below to go to that episode and click the play button in the post. You can also see the show notes for that episode.
- Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch. Subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play.
How you can support the podcast
You can support the podcast and help spread the word about the podcast in several ways.
1. Subscribe & Leave a Review
And don’t forget to leave a rating and review, which helps more people find the show. iTunes bases their search results on positive ratings, so it really is a blessing. Thanks for your help! (Need help leaving a review? These instructions should help.)
Share the podcast with your friends! Word of mouth is the number one way people learn about the show. Text a friend or share your favorite episode on Facebook or Instagram. It’s the best compliment ever when you do. Thanks!
Shop the Triumphant Learning store. You will find resources to help you disciple and train your children, implement a Charlotte Mason education, continue your learning as a teacher/facilitator, and make learning fun.
Shop on Amazon with this affiliate link, and I’ll receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you.