It’s so easy to focus on what we could have done better or what we should have done differently. It is much harder to be brave and acknowledge what we are doing right. I was so thankful for this reminder from Jamie Erickson in this podcast episode to remember that we are doing a lot right. And we should celebrate it! She also reminds us of the importance of having routines and rhythms in our day instead of rigid schedules.
What we talked about
- The importance of having routines and rhythms instead of rigid schedules and the need to factor in your children’s needs and your family’s needs as you determine those routines.
- How establishing benchmarks in your day can bring the whole family together. And how to establish your first benchmark.
- How themed days help her make progress each week toward her goals and help her feel successful. And why it’s okay to not finish a project the same day you start it.
- The importance of putting homeschooling in its proper place. It should not consume your life!
- Why it’s not selfish to plan some of your curriculum with your interests in mind. And why this actually benefits your homeschool!
What advice would you give to a new homeschool mom?
Don’t just look at the “coulda’, woulda’, shoulda’s.” Be brave enough to look at what you are doing right and acknowledge it.
It’s not about perfection or completion. It’s about practice and progress.