Preview: Homeschool Planet exceeded my demanding expectations. Find out why it is the best online homeschool planner. Plus watch a video review.
If you know me at all, you know that I am very organized and detailed. I like to have my calendar, to-do’s, schedule, and school lesson plans all lined out and in digital format. My friends call me a spreadsheet queen. I created a very detailed spreadsheet to plan and track our homeschool lessons.
Every online homeschool planner I tried failed to meet my expectations and could not even come close to doing what my spreadsheet could do. And I tried every.single.one out there. Then I found Homeschool Planet! I fell in love with it on the first use and love it more each day. You may not believe this, but I can now plan in more detail and with better efficiency than with my spreadsheet! But don’t worry, if you don’t like to plan in detail, there are still a lot of features that you will love.
I received Homeschool Planet for free and I was compensated for my time to review this product. All opinions are my own and I am not required to give a positive review.
What I expect from an online homeschool planner
Here is a list of my expectations of an online homeschool planner:
- Easy to enter information at the beginning of the school year
- Easy to make changes, because life happens
- Schedule family work and individual work
- See detailed lesson plans by subject
- Add information such as narration questions and website links to assignments
- See the daily or weekly plan
- Track attendance
- Ability for students to check off completed assignments
- Ability to check off assignments and see what is left to complete
- Enter notes for the day and for specific assignments
- Access from all of my devices—laptop, desktop, tablet, and smartphone
What I love about Homeschool Planet
As you can see, I expect a lot from an online homeschool planner. I mentioned that I tried every one available. Each had features I liked, but every one lacked some functionality that I really needed so I went back to my spreadsheet after the free trial period ended. Not Homeschool Planet! I learn something new every month that just makes me love it even more. Let’s take a look at how Homeschool Planet exceeds the expectations listed above.
Or, if you prefer you can watch a video review of Homeschool Planet.
- It is very easy to get started with Homeschool Planet. You can watch these tutorials to walk you through the process of setting up your homeschool, students, and school year.
- Adding subjects, courses, and assignments is a snap.
- Customer service is incredible. I have emailed multiples times with questions about how to accomplish what I needed. They emailed back within 24 hours, usually within 5 hours, with instructions or suggestions of a workaround.
- Homeschool Planet works with all educational styles.
- You can track grades, including pass/fail options, or turn the grading option off.
- Assignments can be scheduled for a single student, multiple students, or the whole family.
- If you live in a state that requires hourly attendance records, you can track hours by assignment or class. You can even track classes and hours as core and non-core.
- Classes can be scheduled at the same time every day or at different times on different days. If you prefer, you can even schedule classes in a particular order instead of at a particular time.
- Life happens. Lesson plans change. A child is sick. You schedule a trip in the middle of the year. It is easy to move assignments with Rescheduling Helper. Rescheduling Helper is also nice for the days you work from a printed assignment list and need to mark all of the assignments as complete. You can accomplish this with a single click.
- You can add a course mid-year, change assignments, or add new resources you just found.
You can add so much detail to classes including:
- Resources such as books, magazines, DVDs, CDs, websites, and even files from your computer
- Narration questions
- Shared assignments for family classes
- Individual assignments for family classes such as assigning an older student additional reading or projects
- Notes for a particular day or specific assignment
- You can see at a glance what needs to be completed, what has been worked on, and what has been marked as complete.
- You can access Homeschool Planet from any device—laptop, desktop, tablet, and smartphone.
- With student logins, you can be logged in with administrative access on your laptop or tablet and each student can be logged in on a different device.
There are many options available for reports including:
- Assignment lists by day or week
- Class Hours
- Grade Report
- Class Notes
- Community service
- Teacher training
- Field trips
6. Builds student responsibility and independence
- Students can have individual logins and check off completed assignments. This allows them to develop time management skills as they work through their assignment lists.
- We have a combination of family and independent work. I can easily designate which assignments are to be done together and which are ones my daughter is responsible for completing independently.
Want to see Homeschool Planet in action? You can watch a video review of Homeschool Planet and how I use it in our homeschool.