If you know me at all, you know that I am very organized and detailed. I like to have my calendar, to-do’s, schedule, and school lesson plans all lined out and in digital format. My friends call me a spreadsheet queen. I created a very detailed spreadsheet to plan and track our homeschool lessons.
Every online homeschool planner I tried failed to meet my expectations and could not even come close to doing what my spreadsheet could do. And I tried every.single.one out there. Then I found Homeschool Planet! I fell in love with it on the first use and love it more each day. You may not believe this, but I can now plan in more detail and with better efficiency than with my spreadsheet! But don’t worry, if you don’t like to plan in detail, there are still a lot of features that you will love.
I received Homeschool Planet for free and I was compensated for my time to review this product. All opinions are my own and I am not required to give a positive review.
What I expect from an online homeschool planner
Here is a list of my expectations of an online homeschool planner:
- Easy to enter information at the beginning of the school year
- Easy to make changes, because life happens
- Schedule family work and individual work
- See detailed lesson plans by subject
- Add information such as narration questions and website links to assignments
- See the daily or weekly plan
- Track attendance
- Ability for students to check off completed assignments
- Ability to check off assignments and see what is left to complete
- Enter notes for the day and for specific assignments
- Access from all of my devices—laptop, desktop, tablet, and smartphone
What I love about Homeschool Planet
As you can see, I expect a lot from an online homeschool planner. I mentioned that I tried every one available. Each had features I liked, but every one lacked some functionality that I really needed so I went back to my spreadsheet after the free trial period ended. Not Homeschool Planet! I learn something new every month that just makes me love it even more. Let’s take a look at how Homeschool Planet exceeds the expectations listed above.
Or, if you prefer you can watch a video review of Homeschool Planet.
- It is very easy to get started with Homeschool Planet. You can watch these tutorials to walk you through the process of setting up your homeschool, students, and school year.
- Adding subjects, courses, and assignments is a snap.
- Customer service is incredible. I have emailed multiples times with questions about how to accomplish what I needed. They emailed back within 24 hours, usually within 5 hours, with instructions or suggestions of a work-around.
- Homeschool Planet works with all educational styles.
- You can track grades, including pass/fail options, or turn the grading option off.
- Assignments can be scheduled for a single student, multiple students, or the whole family.
- If you live in a state that requires hourly attendance records, you can track hours by assignment or class. You can even track classes and hours as core and non-core.
- Classes can be scheduled at the same time every day or different times on different days. If you prefer, you can even schedule classes in a particular order instead of at a particular time.
- Life happens. Lesson plans change. A child is sick. You schedule a trip in the middle of the year. It is easy to move assignments with Rescheduling Helper. Rescheduling Helper is also nice for the days you work from a printed assignment list and need to mark all of the assignments as complete. You can accomplish this with a single click.
- You can add a course mid-year, change assignments, or add new resources you just found.
You can add so much detail to classes including:
- Resources such as books, magazines, DVDs, CDs, websites, and even files from your computer
- Narration questions
- Shared assignments for family classes
- Individual assignments for family classes such as assigning an older student additional reading or projects
- Notes for a particular day or specific assignment
- You can see at a glance what needs to be completed, what has been worked on, and what has been marked as complete.
- You can access Homeschool Planet from any device—laptop, desktop, tablet, and smartphone.
- With student logins, you can be logged in with administrative access on your laptop or tablet and each student can be logged in on a different device.
There are many options available for reports including:
- Assignment lists by day or week
- Class Hours
- Grade Report
- Class Notes
- Community service
- Teacher training
- Field trips
6. Builds student responsibility and independence
- Students can have individual logins and check off completed assignments. This allows them to develop time management skills as they work through their assignment lists.
- We have a combination of family and independent work. I can easily designate which assignments are to be done together and which are ones my daughter is responsible for completing independently.
Watch a video review of Homeschool Planet and how I use it in our homeschool.
If you would like more tips and advice for homeschool planning, check out these posts:
- How Mind Maps Improved My Planning Process
- Why You Should Take Advantage Of Homeschool Teacher Workdays
- Simplify Homeschool Planning With These Seven Steps
- How Much Time I Invest In Our Charlotte Mason Homeschool
- What To Do When You Feel Behind On Lessons
Regain Control Of Your Homeschool
Use this simple strategy to deal with difficult homeschool days.
- Stop feeling overwhelmed and behind on lessons.
- Get back on track and gain control of your homeschool days.
- Learn how to avoid that drowning sensation in the future.
You will also receive weekly emails to help you find peace in a simple, intentional homeschool. If it’s ever too much, you can unsubscribe at any time.