Recognizing the needs of our children can be one of the hardest things we do as parents and home educators. In this episode, Latoya Edwards reminded us that when we take advantage of small moments of time to center ourselves by spending time with God we are able to be more observant and aware of our children’s needs. She shares practical tips from her own life of how you can make the most of the small moments you have during your day.
What we talked about
- There is no one right way to have a personal quiet time. You need to find what works for your current situation and time constraints.
- The three questions she asks herself as she considers their homeschool schedule. Hint…she thought they would do more lessons together but realized her sons’ different interests and abilities needed different approaches. She focused on helping them achieve their goals, not goals designed for others.
- The benefit of investing in your own spiritual disciplines so you can more clearly see the needs of your children. The problem is not always academic. You need discernment to see the big picture.
- Why she focuses more on relationships than academics. As difficult as it is, she is willing to let go of her plans and agenda to help her sons achieve their potential and make sure they know mom is always willing to listen.
What advice would you give to a new homeschool mom?
Grace for yourself.
Patience for your children.
Links and resources mentioned on the show
How to listen to the podcast
Podcasts are radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. You don’t have to have an iPod or smartphone to listen.
- Listen right here on the blog. Click on an image below to go to that episode and click the play button in the post. You can also see the show notes for that episode.
- Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch. Subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play.
How you can support the podcast
You can support the podcast and help spread the word about the podcast in several ways.
1. Subscribe & Leave a Review
And don’t forget to leave a rating and review, which helps more people find the show. iTunes bases their search results on positive ratings, so it really is a blessing. Thanks for your help! (Need help leaving a review? These instructions should help.)
Share the podcast with your friends! Word of mouth is the number one way people learn about the show. Text a friend or share your favorite episode on Facebook or Instagram. It’s the best compliment ever when you do. Thanks!
Shop the Triumphant Learning store. You will find resources to help you disciple and train your children, implement a Charlotte Mason education, continue your learning as a teacher/facilitator, and make learning fun.
Shop on Amazon with this affiliate link, and I’ll receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you.
Regain Control Of Your Homeschool
Use this simple strategy to deal with difficult homeschool days.
- Stop feeling overwhelmed and behind on lessons.
- Get back on track and gain control of your homeschool days.
- Learn how to avoid that drowning sensation in the future.
You will also receive weekly emails to help you find peace in a simple, intentional homeschool. If it’s ever too much, you can unsubscribe at any time.