I finally gave up!
We had been trying to use a scripture memory review system, but it kept frustrating me. If we were out of town or missed a day I felt like we had to play catch up or like we continually failed to review the verses for those days month after month.
Memorizing scripture is an important aspect in our relationship with God and I wanted to make sure that we had a simple and flexible review system in place that we could maintain.
Psalm 119:11 (ESV)
I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
After some thought, I came up with the review system below. It is flexible and allows us to pick up where we left off without the guilt.
Setting Up Your Scripture Memory Review System
With a system in place you only need a few minutes each day to memorize and review scripture or any other memory work.
Directions to use your memory review system
- Label the dividers as shown below. On the monthly tabs, include any memory work category you want to review.
- Write the verse, poem, hymn, etc. you want to learn on a 3×5 index card.
- Review it daily until you can say it from memory.
- Once you have memorized the verse, move it to the weekly section behind the Monday tab. Move the cards in the weekly section back one tab.
- When a card moves out of the weekly section after rotating through the Friday tab, move it to the appropriate monthly tab.
- Each day review memory work in the daily tab, the appropriate day of the week tab, and a handful of cards from the monthly tab(s). As you review a card in the monthly tab, move it to the back of the monthly section.