Jen Mackinnon is a working homeschool mom of two teens. In this episode, she shares insights on learning to integrate working and homeschooling and how it’s not about learning to balance it all but to redefine our definition of balance.
Regardless of whether you work outside the home, work in the home, or work to get dinner on the table, you can apply so much of what Jen shared with us to help your homeschool run smoother and teach your children important life skills.
What we talked about
- How it is important to embrace homeschooling the kids you have instead of trying to compare your homeschool with everyone else’s. What works for other families may not work for yours and it is important to find what helps your children be successful.
- How checklists and schedules can provide boundaries and guidelines to help your week run smoothly.
- How she schedules time each week for her children to pursue individual interests. And how this has helped her children learn how to learn, thus accomplishing one of her goals in homeschooling her children.
- Why we need to redefine our definition of balance. You cannot do everything. You need to learn to ask for help, to delegate tasks to your children, and to establish systems.
What advice would you give to a new homeschool mom?
Homeschooling does not look the same for every family. Take advantage of the flexibility it offers to make it work for your family.
Give yourself a full year when you are deciding if homeschooling is right for your family. The first year is hard and you will need that time to see what works and what doesn’t.
Links and resources mentioned on the show
- Connect with Jen at Practical by Default
- Featured Triumphant Learning Product: Beginning Reader Word Searches
How to listen to the podcast
Podcasts are radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. You don’t have to have an iPod or smartphone to listen.
- Listen right here on the blog. Click on an image below to go to that episode and click the play button in the post. You can also see the show notes for that episode.
- Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch. Subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play.
How you can support the podcast
You can support the podcast and help spread the word about the podcast in several ways.
1. Subscribe & Leave a Review
And don’t forget to leave a rating and review, which helps more people find the show. iTunes bases their search results on positive ratings, so it really is a blessing. Thanks for your help! (Need help leaving a review? These instructions should help.)
Share the podcast with your friends! Word of mouth is the number one way people learn about the show. Text a friend or share your favorite episode on Facebook or Instagram. It’s the best compliment ever when you do. Thanks!
Shop the Triumphant Learning store. You will find resources to help you disciple and train your children, implement a Charlotte Mason education, continue your learning as a teacher/facilitator, and make learning fun.
Shop on Amazon with this affiliate link, and I’ll receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you.
Regain Control Of Your Homeschool
Use this simple strategy to deal with difficult homeschool days.
- Stop feeling overwhelmed and behind on lessons.
- Get back on track and gain control of your homeschool days.
- Learn how to avoid that drowning sensation in the future.
You will also receive weekly emails to help you find peace in a simple, intentional homeschool. If it’s ever too much, you can unsubscribe at any time.